Friday, December 5, 2008

Goodbye to Penta (and New York!)

Having been here for 3 months now, my time in New York and as an intern at Penta is nearly over! I’m heading back to England next week and so before I go, I wanted to write a blog about my experience.

Although I planned events before, I’ve had an opportunity to work with my colleagues at Penta on really different kinds of events than those I was used to, particularly the Charity Golf Outing and the Live the Good Life Gala at the Waldorf Astoria in November which helped raise a huge amount for the American Diabetes Association.

Two of the other things I was most looking forward to experiencing before I came here were the Presidential election and my first Thanksgiving and they definitely lived up to my expectations! I’ve also loved seeing the holiday decorations go up all around the city and in the big stores and I even watched the Rockefeller Christmas Tree lighting on TV to get into the festive spirit.

Some things have proved to be more difficult than I thought though… It took me a while to remember to say “line” when I mean “queue” or “elevator” instead of “lift”, but I got there in the end. The other thing that I found difficult was the subway. My proudest moment came about two weeks into my stay when I managed to get on the right subway train on my own – without my husband telling me where to go!

So although I’m pleased to be going home to see my family and friends in time for the holidays, I feel sad that I’m leaving New York and my new friends at Penta. I’ve really loved my time here and I’m so grateful to Michele and Christina for offering me the chance to work with them and Emily, Katie and Sarah to experience a different side to the event planning industry.

New York really is the city of opportunity and I can’t wait to have the opportunity to come back!

Jodie