Wednesday, July 2, 2008

4th of July Plans

It just dawned on me that July has officially begun and everyone around me seems to be getting ready for the 4th of July weekend but I don’t have any plans.

Hi, I’m an intern at Penta Events. I grew up in the NYC area but I have never been around during this time of year to experience the spectacular fireworks. This year, I vowed to stay in New York City for July 4th but the weekend is just days away and I still haven’t finalized my plans.

I narrowed down my options but making a decision is not something I can do alone, as I normally tend to keep coming up with more ideas instead of concentrating on one. I would be the perfect example of someone who would need to hire Penta Events for any sort of party planning; otherwise I would find myself hosting some sort of insanely tacky affair with an infinite amount of clashing themes.

My first idea was to host a pool party and so I began to research online. Logged in to my computer, signed onto the best site ever- GOOGLE, and within seconds had tons of information at my disposal. On celebrations.com, I found the Ahh-Qua Floating Pool Bar, a bar that literally floats with room for 4 people. This intrigued me, obviously, so I started to look into drinks for my party. I came across a Drink Calculator on evite.com- which helps determine how much alcohol to buy depending on the length of the party, the type of alcohol and the number of guests. Genius! Of course, the red, white & blue Jell-O shots and Mojito recipes really helped me get an idea of what my party would be like!

At the same time, I read about a July 4th Festival on Water Street filled with vendors, international food, Chinese pottery and more. Being that I am a sucker for those sorts of things (where I tend to spend more money then any of my friends), I was quickly drawn to a day near the Seaport, shopping, wrapped up by Macy’s fireworks.

But wait! There is also the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest, which is held at Coney Island. I am a vegetarian so participating is not an option, but I’d love to witness people sitting in 100 degree weather competing over who can eat more meat wrapped up in buns.

NYC is incredible and the choices are endless! I will probably wind up deciding on Friday, July 4th what I am doing but I’m certain I won’t be disappointed.

Oh yeah, and the SPF will be part of all of my plans because the lobster look just doesn’t work for me. That is, unless it rains (yay umbrellas) but I am staying positive and hope the weather channel made a mistake.

Till next time!
Have a great weekend!!

Sarah


MojitoIngredients:
Ice
6 ounces light rum
12 mint sprigs, or spearmint,8 roughly broken apart
6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 tablespoons sugar
Club soda
4 slices lime

Preparation:
Place ice in beverage shaker then add in the rum, 8 broken up mint sprigs, lime juice and sugar.
Shake well and serve over ice in a high ball glass.
Top off each glass with a splash of club soda.
Garnish each with a slice of lime and a sprig of mint.
*Recipe Courtesy the Food Network
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_17225,00.html

No comments: