Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dance With Me

In the past few years ballroom dancing has become increasingly popular and that is in large part due to the ABC reality hit “Dancing with the Stars”. Just like most of America, I am a huge fan of the show and never miss an episode. Another thing that I’m sure of is that I’m just one of thousands of women that have fallen in love with a certain professional ballroom dancer named Maksim Chmerkovskiy. Since the first time I saw the show I knew that I would one day like to take a dance lesson with him and this summer that actually came true. It all happened because intern Sarah let me know that Maks has two studios called Dance With Me- one in Glen Head, NY and the other in Ridgefield, NJ. As soon as I found out that the dance studios were so close to Manhattan, I decided that I needed to go pick up some new dance moves and got myself a private lesson.

When the day came that I had to go to the private dance lesson with Maksim, I was a nervous wreck because I hadn’t done any dancing in about five years and was about to learn from a ballroom champion. Another thing that I am ashamed to admit is that I’m from Argentina and have no clue how to dance any type of Latin dance. On the show Dancing with the Stars they had always depicted him as arrogant, which added to my nervousness, but the second that I met him I realized he is not arrogant at all and a real sweetheart. As soon as the lesson started I began to relax and feel more at ease because he made me feel very comfortable by joking around a little about my past dance experiences and the fact that I shouldn’t call my self Argentine until I know how to dance the tango. I ended up learning a little Salsa and the Mambo, and to my surprise I was actually keeping up with all the steps and even doing some spins. The whole experience was so much fun and once it was over, I wanted to do it all over again. Since that lesson with Maks, I have been back for more lessons with another instructor named Clyde, who is also extremely talented, just like the rest of the staff, and the manager Eugene, is attentive to the students’ schedules and dancing goals. Everyone at the studio makes it an amazing experience. I recommend going to take lessons and workshops if the dance studios are near you. Even if they are far, make sure to make the trip to one of the two when in the NYC area. In the meantime you can look for studios in your area because ballroom dancing is a great way to exercise and have fun at the same time.

Besides being a great atmosphere and place to dance, Dance With Me in Glen Head is getting involved in our charity golf outing benefiting the American Diabetes Association, by donating lessons, a gift basket, and perhaps even coming out to golf!

For more info about the golf outing visit www.golfdigestplanner.com/1380-PENTACares/
Also check out Dance With Me online at http://www.dancewithmecorp.com/

-Carolina
Maks with partner Melanie Brown from the Spice Girls on Dancing with the Stars Season 5.


No comments: